Thursday 16 February 2012

Maureen Moans

What is with all these reality shows, I rarely watch them, so as you can imagine I end up watching very little television. I tend to watch tried and tested DVD's or I play on my lap-top.

last night I watched channel 4 Daddy Day Care, only because I was at work, and it was on. It was dire. We are told that most men today would rather spend time working, or watching TV or down the pub with their mates then with their families. So each week 3 men are sent to work at a nursery because they don't do enough around the house, or with their own children.
Last night they sent them to a packed nursery for 168 children, in London to look after 12 children!!!  If you put any stranger in a room with 12 pre-schoolers and you will get havoc, guess what even a mother.
I want to know why the owners/managers of these nurseries gave their consent? money? fame? why?
We are told by the staff that the children have strict routines and that they need to be handled a certain way.  Yes by people who they know and who know them.
Nursery Nurses are trained professionals, after their training in college they are sent on placements to nurseries. Where guided by an experienced member of staff learn about the children, and the children get to know them.
Expecting a reluctant dad, to be able to get 12 children to sit down, and be read to, or to change nappies for a man whose wife hasn't had a baby yet, and the third had to get his 12 to sleep.
Yes Right.  It would not have been filmed if they had succeeded, so it was obvious they wouldn't.
Yes they are men out there who do not want any part in child care, so send mum on holiday and let dad look after his own kids for a week, not so much fun, well neither was this.  Even though they returned home, more determined to support their wife's it is all parts of the shows remit.  So if this is the best reality show you can come up with then give up and let's have some proper drama or comedy, shows made.
Needless to say I will not be watching the next 2 episodes, as it will just be a repeat of the first.  By the way I did not see a disclaimer saying that no Children or for that matter Dads where harmed during filming.

3 comments:

  1. Yeah, I watched this too and thought that the situation would be the same if they put any untrained person in a room with x ammount of strange children and they didn't know the routine or the best way to speak to the kids (if that makes sense!?) I'm not sure i will be watching the next episode either. I notised that the experience didn't really improve the mens lives in any remarkable fashion!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your comments. I love your little blog and think you are a very talented young lady, all the best with your new home/life.

    ReplyDelete